Friday 10 February 2017

Minnesota calls the Nolans 📯

Well back on the trail again!!!!!!

As I have previously mentioned I suspected that the Nolan's came into the United States via Canada and considering the location of Minnesota, this does substantiate my claim as to where they immigrated through.

I decided to do some rough reading on the history of Minnesota and try and get an idea of the climate, the location and what life would of been like for  Irish immigrants in the later half of the 19th century.


You can see from the map on the left that Minnesota borders with Canada and it is also forms part of Lake Superior. I would of dearly liked to discover the route that the family took from Canada travelling south to Minnesota but this has evaded me so far.




Minnesota gained legality in 1849 when it became  known as Minnesota Territory and then on May 11th 1858 it became the 32nd US State.


The trials of the American Civil War and the Dakota War of 1862 created much upheaval throughout the territory. Minnesotan's fought under the flag of the Union with 22,000 men serving.

Following the wars eventually the states economy began to improve and develop. Immigrants were attracted to the new farming economy and many new railroads were created. Natural resources were being used and developed and this created a huge industry revolution through out the state.


So what have we found out so far ???????

I think I know  how the Nolan's came to be in Minnesota.
I think I know why they perhaps we drawn there with the great boom in farming and industry and obviously lots of employment around.
Now to find out what the climate and living conditions would of been like for them.

It was sort of hard for me to imagine the weather climate as I have never seen snow so I went on good old google looking for old images and found this one. Oh my goodness talk about snow. This is not my image and the link is clearly visible underneath the picture.


 A snow blockade in southern Minnesota, US in 1881
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/435019645228851384/
What interested me about this picture was the time frame of 1881 and I will now mention the family hearsay that I have received about  my great grandfather John Nolan suffering from frostbite on his toes while working out on the prairies in Minnesota. Now pieces are coming together and my puzzle is taking some shape in my head.

Minnesota has what's called a continental climate with hot summers and cold winters.




Even though winter does not officially start until late December, Minnesota usually begins experiencing winter-like conditions in November, sometimes as early as October.

Spring time brings floods with the melting of the icy rivers and fields.


Daily average summer temperatures in Minnesota range from mid 22 degrees Celsius  in the south to the mid 19 degrees Celsius in the north.

So as you can see what a vast arrange of seasons the Nolan family must have lived through.

My next step was to try and get myself thinking as to how they would of lived. How they travelled and what sort of house they might have lived in.

Once again back to good old google and I found some wonderful old images online which helped me visualise the families life back then.
I have included a few here to sort of give you that step back in time.


Schnaith Brothers Plumbing, 439 East Seventh Street, St. Paul. 1890
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/200550989630168040/ 
I was drawn to the image  on the left here as it provides a visual detail of the building and we can also see the way the men dressed. Horse and cart was obviously a chosen mode of transport.

East Seventh St was close to one of the listed residences that I found the Nolan's living at, in one the census's.








Downtown St. Paul, St. Paul - 1890
http://yoergbeer.com/availability

Now who can go past a good old saloon picture and considering via family hearsay that old Thomas Nolan loved a drink, I thought this was a little appropriate for our Nolan's.
You will notice no woman in this picture and I am finding it a struggle to actually find some pictured alongside men. I suppose that was the etiquette perhaps for that era.
But I do enjoy looking at this picture and imagining one of those men to be my great-great grandfather Thomas Nolan.




I hope you have enjoyed this little post about delving back into the late 19th century and taking a look at my Nolan family. I could spend hours looking at old photographs online but I probably wouldn't be in the good books with my hubby. lol.

Stay tuned for my next entry and we will continue on with Mary.



























.












   




No comments:

Post a Comment